Recognizing toenail fungus, why it occurs and how to deal with it helps medical literature and websites on the internet. However, it is recommended to give preference to consultations with a mycologist. The laboratory tests performed will accurately determine the type of fungal infection, which will make it easier to choose the right treatment regimen.
What is onychomycosis?
A subgroup of diseases caused by the penetration of fungal microorganisms into the tissue of the nail plate is onychomycosis. The infection is usually due to untreated skin lesions on the fingers / toes. The disease can appear at any age, but it is more common in men between the ages of 20 and 55.
According to the International Classification of Diseases, the onychomycosis code is B35. 1. It is mainly dermatophytes that cause pathological changes in the nails. Diagnostic studies of pathogens of the genus Candida or mold microorganisms are less common.
Nail fungus is transmitted, which is why it occurs in 90% of cases - this is direct contact with an already sick person, for example, members of the same family, or close communication using common household items. Promotes infection by weakening the body's immune barriers -Causes of fungus on toenailshave roots in diabetes, immune deficiency, recent serious diseases.
The clinical picture directly depends not only on the type of mycotic causative agent, but also on the area of its penetration - the distal form of onychomycosis or the proximal nail lesion. The variant with the overall spread of the infection is extremely rare.
Causes and Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
Research carried out by experts allowed us to studyToenail fungus, where does it come from?and which people are at risk of infection. Pathogenic microorganisms live not only on the tissues of the feet and hands, but also on the rest of the human body. They can maintain their vital activity on the surrounding objects. To do this, it is enough for them to be in warm, humid conditions, and there are enough epidermal scales for nutrition, and in humans they are constantly falling apart.
The mainCauses of Toenail Fungus::
- Age Criterion - Anyone can be exposed to a yeast infection, but men between the ages of 18 and 50 are susceptible to it.
- Working in dangerous industries - in gas-polluted, dusty rooms with high temperature / humidity;
- constant wearing of tight, poorly ventilated shoes;
- frequent minor tissue injuries - abrasions, abrasions, calluses on the feet;
- anatomical and physiological features - for example narrow interdigital spaces;
- a tendency to excessive sweating - hyperhidrosis;
- the course of various somatic pathologies that weaken the protective barriers of the skin - diabetes, hyperthyroidism, psoriasis, obesity.
SuspectToenail fungusallow the characteristic symptoms and signs of the disease. Most often, people go to a doctor with complaints that their nail plate has become cloudy, with a yellowish tinge, an unpleasant odor from the feet, and increased fragility of the edge of the nail.
Fungal risk groups
In fact, onychomycosis is a public infection. After all, anyone can become infected with a fungus, especially when visiting places where the concentration of pathogens is higher. Many people are at risk:
- Employees of baths and saunas, swimming pools and fitness studios;
- Public space cleaner;
- Family members of a sick person;
- People weakened by recent illnesses;
- expectant mothers - pregnancy worsens the condition of the skin of the feet;
- People who neglect personal hygiene;
- forced to stay in a hot, poorly ventilated room during the entire work shift, especially in tight shoes made of artificial materials;
- Women visiting pedicure salons with an unconfirmed reputation;
- Beach lovers - sand is often infected with fungal microorganisms because people walk on it barefoot or in dirty shoes.
When you know who has the most andWhy is toenail fungusit is easier to protect yourself from infection. Therefore, it is recommended that each person assess their risk of infection and take appropriate preventive measures.
Diagnosis of the disease
Getting rid of the pathological focus of the disease is much easier, it is much easier to choose treatment when people seek medical help early on. Since the clinical manifestations of onychomycosis are similar to the symptoms of other pathologies of the nail plate, the mycologist will definitely prescribe a number of diagnostic procedures:
- a thorough examination of the affected nail with a magnifying glass;
- Collection of complaints and anamnesis - the reasons for penetration into the tissues, which a person can indicate on his own;
- Scraping the surface of the plate and examining the cells under a microscope;
- Take a piece of the nail for sowing on a special nutrient medium - the existing fungal colonies begin to actively multiply, but the analysis takes a lot of time.
- histological examination - if there is a suspicion of a malignant disease.
After comparing all the information from the diagnostic procedures, the mycologist gives his qualified opinion - confirms the preliminary diagnosisNail fungusand then selects the optimal regimen of his therapy.
Nail fungus treatment
Important information aboutNail fungusFor a mycologist, this means that you can identify and eliminate the mechanism of human infection, as well as choose the right treatment regimen. After all, there are many infectious disease pathogens, and some drugs are effective, while others only stop infectious cells from growing but do not completely eliminate them.
By setting it upCauses of Nail FungusAt the first consultation, experts give recommendations for their elimination - for example, buying new shoes, careful personal hygiene, treating all family members. Only after that, I guessWhy is nail fungusyou can start drug therapy. It is customary to distinguish two main areas - a local effect on the lesion with the help of fungicidal ointments, varnishes and, if necessary, systemic antifungal drugs.
In the classic versionwhy there is a fungus on the toenails- Infection through contaminated shoes or walking barefoot on the tiles of the pool, it is better to start anti-infection medication with external means. A variety of antifungal drugs are offered on the pharmacy shelf:
- Subgroup of polyenes - they are characterized by democratic cost and high efficiency, as well as a variety of dosage forms;
- Subgroup of azoles - they cope with most of the known fungal microorganisms with the timely start of therapy;
- Subgroup of alliamids - it is inherent to quickly suppress mycoses of the nails, hair or epithelium of the feet and body.
After I found outWhy does the fungus appear on the nails?The mycologist will recommend the optimal drugs for external suppression of the activity of onychomycosis - a cream / ointment with fungicidal properties. While in the case of a severe course of the disease, tablets / capsules or injections of drug solutions are prescribed to achieve a systemic effect on the infection.
It is not acceptable to independently change the dosage of drugs, the frequency of their administration or the duration of treatment. Such measures aggravate the clinical picture of onychomycosis and lead to the formation of complications.
A long time agoNail fungus treatmentwas the prerogative of traditional healers. There are many effective recipes using medicinal plants, beekeeping products and improvised home remedies that will eliminate discomfort and suppress the activity of fungal microorganisms.
The accumulated knowledge of the causes of the disease and its symptoms made it possible to create effective recipes for home treatment:
- Before going to bed, make a concentrated solution of potassium permanganate that you can put your feet in for 15-20 minutes. Then dry the skin thoroughly and apply a mixture of crushed propolis and alcohol to the area affected by the fungus. Attach a gauze bandage on top and let it sit for a day. Repeat the process 3-5 times.
- In a dark cupboard, insist on 1 liter of vinegar essence, the contents of 1 packet of celandine in the pharmacy. Filter after 3-4 weeks. Add foot baths along with salt. The duration of the procedure is 5-7 minutes.
- Tar soap lotions. After the preliminary steaming of the foot tissue, thoroughly lather the interdigital spaces and nails with tar soap and pour table salt over them. Leave on overnight.
To accelerate the recovery from nail fungus, you can use simple recipes - wipe the affected areas with iodine tincture in the morning or with the juice of a golden mustache, Indian onion or celandine. They have bactericidal properties that suppress the activity of fungal cells.
Prevention of fungal diseases
Preventing primary infection as well as recurrence of fungal infection is much easier than removing the infection from the feet / hands. Primary / secondary prevention measures are affordable and easy to implement. After allWhat does the fungus on the toenails say?- about the weakening of the human body's own defenses.
Therefore, in order to restore a strong and strong immunity, it is necessary to take a number of measures:
- Diet Overhaul - The menu should include more fresh vegetables with fruits, vitamins, and light proteins, but minimize pickles and preservatives, fast food, and fatty / smoked dishes.
- Refuse alcohol / tobacco products;
- Pay close attention to personal hygiene - shower hygienically every day, change underwear and socks.
- Buy shoes made from good quality materials, the size of your feet, and never wear someone else's shoes / boots.
- Do a pedicure yourself with individual tools or entrust your nails to a professional master.
- Before visiting public places with humid air - swimming pool, sauna or bath - use protective equipment against fungus.
Widespread prevention of fungal infections is compliance with hygienic and epidemiological regulations - wet cleaning of premises with disinfectant solutions, active ventilation and, if necessary, quartzization.
Reviews of toenail fungus treatment
- "Comprehensive treatment for onychomycosis affects not only drug infection, but also a way of correcting a person's lifestyle. It is possible to defeat the fungus by a combination of measures - for example, applying ointments at the same time, hardening the human body and observing personal hygiene. In addition, it is recommended that all family members be treated at the same time so that the disease does not relapse. There are many antifungal drugs available in pharmacies. You can choose the optimal therapy regimen for each case. "
- "I recently learned that a fungus on my nails - my diagnosis is onychomycosis - has started the process of early inflammation in the blood and tests can show it. The doctor-mycologist told me in detail all the information about the fungal infection and how best to deal with it. Now I've already gone through therapy, I feel a lot better. Now I will better watch the prevention of such pathologies and tell my friends and acquaintances so that they do not get infected with this terrible infection. "
- "Pharmaceutical products can of course deal with nail fungus, but at the same time their chemical components are harmful to health. That's why I prefer to use traditional medicine recipes first. I removed the fungus from my husband's feet in a simple way - every evening they steamed the nails with a soda bath, then applied lotions with homemade vinegar. First the itching was relieved by burning, then healthy nails grew back. In addition, they took decoctions with calendula and chamomile, echinacea, to help strengthen the immune system. Now my husband got rid of toenail fungus completely. "